VFW Post # 8870, Edmonds, sponsors the Freedom Scholarship for four deserving seniors who will be enrolling full time in an accredited vocational, technical, college or university in the fall semester and who have parents and/or grandparents that are US Military Veterans. The $1500 scholarship shall be paid directly to the student’s school account to help defray tuition costs, fees, and expenses.
The following materials must accompany the Freedom Scholarship application form:
- A high school transcript that includes grades from your junior and senior years;
- A resume that includes the school sponsored activities in which you have participated during your high school years, leadership positions, jobs you have held, and service related activities for which you have volunteered; and
- An essay that is typed and from 300 to 500 words in which you explain:
- what freedom means to you; and
- how our Constitution establishes and maintains a culture of freedom in our country.
- Name and branch of service that veteran parent(s) and/or grandparent(s) served.
Please forward the completed application and all supporting materials to:
Mail: Scholarship Committee VFW Post # 8870 – PO Box 701, Edmonds, WA 98020
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION MATERIALS IS APRIL 15
Download the VFW8870_Freedom_Scholarship_Application.pdf.
Scout of Year Scholarship
Local VFW Posts select one winner from the entries received. Posts then submit their local winner to their respective VFW Department (state) by April 1. From there, the Department selects a winner and forwards the entry to the VFW National Headquarters by May 1 for national-level judging.
WHO CAN ENTER:
- Scouts who are registered, active members of a Boy or Girl Scout Troop, Venturing Crew, or a Sea Scout Ship who have received the Eagle Scout Award, Girl Scout Gold Award, Venture Silver Award or Sea Scout Quartermaster Award.
- Scouts must be 15 years of age and have demonstrated practical citizenship in school, scouting and the community.
- Scouts must be enrolled in high school at the time of selection.
Note: All applicants still in high school who reach their 18th birthday during the nomination year remain eligible if otherwise qualified.
Official Link: www.vfw.org/Community/Scout-of-the-Year-Scholarship